19th Century French Sheep Oil Painting in Carved Gilt Frame Signed F. Chaigneau
Set in the original carved gilt wood frame, this antique oil on canvas painting titled “Herding Sheep”, was crafted in France, circa 1870. The canvas depicts a bucolic scene of sheep grazing in a picturesque pasture. The painting is signed on the lower left corner by the artist, F. Chaigneau. The artwork and carved frame are in excellent condition with smooth pastel and serene colors. Jean-Ferdinand Chaigneau (1830-1908) was a French painter born in Bordeaux in 1830: a great nineteenth century painter and etcher of landscapes and animal studies, Chaigneau entered the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris in 1849, studying under Picot and taking additional lessons with Coignet and Jacques Raymond Brascassat. He first exhibited his paintings at the Paris Salon in 1848. For the following ten years most of Jean-Ferdinand Chaigneau’s art was in the academic tradition. 1858 was a crucial year in the development of Jean-Ferdinand Chaigneau’s art. Led by Millet, Rousseau, Dupre, Corot, Daubigny and others the great Barbizon school of landscape art had established itself as a strong alternative to academic art. Chaigneau moved to Barbizon at this time and became close friends with both Millet and Charles Jacque. Jacque, in particular, became a strong influence on Chaigneau and introduced him to the art of etching. Jean-Ferdinand Chaigneau created his first published etchings in 1864. Like Jacque, Jean-Ferdinand Chaigneau dedicated himself to the study of animals and landscapes in both his paintings and etched works of art. His depictions of sheep, in particular, gained him the nickname of “le Raphael des moutons”. Between 1868 and 1881, Jean-Ferdinand Chaigneau regularly exhibited his art in both Paris and London. This original etching entitled, “Moutons en Plaine, Salon de 1863” is a brilliant example of the art of Jean-Ferdinand Chaigneau. The National Gallery of Canada (Musee des Beaux-Arts du Canada) includes an impression of this original etching in its permanent collection, Inventory No 23702.49. Listed in the Benezit with lots of references. Measures: 20” W x 17.5” H.
|Dimensions||20 × 2.25 × 17.5 in|
Late 19th Century