19th Century French Painted Faience Porquier Beau Quimper Olive Oil Container
Decorate a kitchen counter or a shelf with this elegant antique conjoined double pitcher. Created in Brittany, France circa 1895, the hand painted ceramic container with center rope twist handle and double spouts, is decorated with Breton men playing the bagpipe on one side, and peasants on the other side, all in traditional costumes. The pitcher is further decorated with the Brittany coat of arms. The colorful wall faience bottle is in excellent condition and is marked with the crossed PB stamp underfoot (for Porquier-Beau). The HR underlined mark of Camille Moreau who worked at the Henriot pottery from 1891 to 1895. This decorative piece would make an outstanding addition to your porcelain collection. Quimper pottery has a long, impressive history. Tin-glazed, hand painted pottery has been made in Quimper, France since the late seventeenth century. The earliest firm, founded in 1685 by Jean Baptiste Bousquet, was known as HB Quimper. Another firm, founded in 1772 by Francois Eloury, was known as Porquier. The third firm, founded by Guillaume Dumaine in 1778, was known as HR or Henriot Quimper. All three firms made similar pottery decorated with designs of Breton peasants and maritime and flower motifs. The Eloury (Porquier) and Dumaine (Henriot) firms merged in 1913. Bousquet (HB) merged with the others in 1968. The group was sold to a United States family in 1984. More changes followed, and in 2011 Jean-Pierre Le Goff became the owner and the name was changed to Henriot-Quimper. The French firm has been called Societe Nouvelle des Faienceries de Quimper HB Henriot since March 1984. Pottery was made in Quimper when the city was part of the Roman Empire, long before tin-glazed pottery was being made. Measures: 9″ W x 3.25″ D x 6.5″ H.
|Dimensions||9" W x 3.25" D x 6.5" H|
Grande Maison HB Quimper
Late 19th Century