19th Century French Hand Painted Porcelain Bird Platter Signed J. Pouyat
Decorate a wall or a bookcase with this colorful Limoges antique wall platter. Crafted in France circa 1809 and round in shape, the hand painted plate features birds drinking in a river in a luxury landscape; the birds and surrounding scenery are rendered in a realistic, yet expressive, painterly style. The platter is further embellished with a band of gold leaf decor around the rim, and is signed on the back J. Pouyat Limoges. The Classic, porcelain platter is in excellent condition with rich and vivid colors throughout.
“Francois Pouyat (1754-1838) owned several clay deposits and clay works in Haute-Vienne, the region of which Limoges is the capital. He became a partner in Manufacture de la Courtille, at the Locre factory in Paris, in 1800. After he succeeded Laurentius Russinger in 1808, Pouyat’s sons, Jean-Baptiste (1776-1849) and Leonard (d 1845), along with Jean Pouyat-Duvignaud (d 1849) joined him.Jean Baptiste Pouyat was succeeded by his sons Emile (1806-1892), Louis (b 1809) and Leonard-Eugene (1817-1876). Emil trained at Locre factory (Paris) and was head of the Limoges factory from 1849-1883. W. Guerin bought the Pouyat Limoges factory in 1911.
In 1883 Emil and Leonard formed La Ceramique S. A. in partnership with Baron de la Bastide and his brothers Leon and Alfred Lemaigre-Dubreuil, both of whom were sons-in-law of Leonard Pouyat.
The Saint-Leonard clayworks and porcelain workshop were sold in 1904 to Leon Pommier, whose widow sold them to La Society la Porcelainerie de la Haute-Vienne, circa 1920.”
In 1816, the two Pouyat brothers formed a partnership with the owner of a factory in Fours to produce porcelain for decoration in Paris. They bought the factory in 1820. It was directed by Leonard Pouyat until his death 1845 and continued in production until 1865.
The Locre works (in Paris) was sold 1823, but Jean-Baptiste Pouyat remained in Paris as head of sales.
Francois Pouyat also opened a small factory in Limoges in 1832, and in 1835 he bought a clay works and porcelain workshop established in Saint-Leonard, near Limoges, in the 1820s. Jean-Baptiste enlarged the Limoges factory about 1844, when it employed 127 workers. This factory made porcelain of exceptional whiteness and even texture; the porcelain was either left white or enameled and gilded. P. Comolera, a modeller, provided designs for over 20 years.
Measures: 14″ diameter.
|Dimensions||14" W x 14" H|
Late 19th Century