Mid-Century French Saint Clement Barbotine Faience Oyster Plates ‘6’ and Dish
These colorful antique plates and matching serving platter were created in France circa 1920, by the Saint Clement factory. The hand painted Majolica service features 6 round plates and one charger, all having oyster shaped and lemon wedge motifs. Every piece is marked underfoot “St Clement France”. The set is in excellent condition with rich colors in the green and yellow palette. The faience factory of Saint-Clement, 12 kms from Lunéville, was established in 1758 by Jacques Chambrette, who already owned another one in Lunéville. With this second factory he aimed at the higher segment of the market with prestigious objects. The factory received because of this a label as Royal Suplier for Marie-Antoinette’s Trianon. After Jacques died in 1758, his son Gabriel became the new owner. Between 1759 and 1763 the factory was managed by Charles Loyal, Jacques Chambrette’s son-in-law, Paul Louis Cyfflé and the architect Richard Mique, who owned half the factory in 1786. In the 18th century Saint-Clément produced domestic objects of ordinary earthenware, luxurious objects and decorative objects of fine earthenware (so-called “terre de pipe”). Between the first quarter of the 19th century and 1892 both current utensils of ordinary earthenware and fine earthenware are produced and decorative objects of grand and petit feu (Emile Gallé). In the second half of the 19th century the factory reproduced Louis XIV objects, among them objects with very unnatural forms, where they attempted to imitate the multicolored decorations of Strasbourg faience. After 1920 the production consisted of dinnerware of fine earthenware (often with old decorations) and decorative objects (animals) in craquelé earthenware (around 1925, 1930). The production of barbotine is continued until 1930. Platter: 14.75″ diameter Plate: 10″.
|Dimensions||10" W x 10" D x 1" H|